Martes, Mayo 3, 2011

West Indies selectors asked me to retire, says Shivnarine Chanderpaul

? Batsman claims he was dropped after refusing to quit
? Allegations the latest twist in current West Indies controversy

The West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul has claimed that the national selectors asked him to retire after the World Cup and he was dropped from the team when he refused.

Chanderpaul made the allegations in a letter to the West Indies Cricket Board's chief executive, Ernest Hilaire. It was the second such communication the 36-year-old has made over the past week after Hilaire questioned the discipline and application in the team.

"The WICB selectors asked me to retire and were upset when I refused to do so," Chanderpaul wrote, according to ESPN cricinfo. "One of the selectors further told me that I would need to go to regional cricket and do exceptionally well and then they might consider me for future selection, despite me having the third-best average in the World Cup for the WI cricket team, of anyone with more than two innings.

"The coach said that I did not do anything for the team in the last 12 months and hence the reason for me being dropped."

Hilaire said last week that his comments did not name individual players and were based on reports and public comments made by previous coaches. He also stated that Chanderpaul "has been and remains a valued member of the West Indies first-team squad".


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/may/03/shivnarine-chanderpaul-west-indies-selectors

Alexander Litvinenko Equality Family finances Gordon Brown European debt crisis Nepal

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento