Sabado, Mayo 7, 2011

Jack's last season ticket after 62 years

Leicester City fan Jack Harrison has rarely missed a match since he picked up his first season ticket 62 years ago.

But the football-mad pensioner, believed to be the longest consecutive season ticket holder at the club, will watch his last game as a regular match-goer when he cheers on City this afternoon.

The 85-year-old, who has supported City since he was a boy, is giving up his seat in the Upton Steel stand due to ill health, but says he will continue to attend occasional home games.

Jack, who lives in Hinckley, said: "I've been a supporter since 1935 when I was 10 or 11. My dad used to take me as a special treat – he was a true blue like me.

"I got my first season ticket in 1949 and I've had a really good time following the City, no regrets, I've really enjoyed it.

"I know City have had greats like Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton, but the one who impressed me was a big Scottish goalkeeper called Sandy McLaren before the war.

"I thought he was the best keeper Leicester had, but I was an impressionable lad then.

"I also remember Johnny Duncan, who built the side up from nothing, and when Don Revie came on the scene."

Mr Harrison said he would be sad to give up his seat.

"It's in front of the directors' box right on the centre line," he said. "It's a brilliant seat, I'm reluctant to let it go. I haven't missed many matches over the years, but ill health is starting to catch up with me.

"I have some excellent memories of the City and their ups and downs, but I prefer to think of the ups. You can watch it on the TV, but that can't recreate the atmosphere.

"I will really miss it."

Jack's wife, Joan, 83, said: "I'm sorry for him because he really has enjoyed it. It's a big thing to give up after all these years."

His daughter, Jane, said: "He probably knows more about the previous managers and players than anyone at the club. He's been going to the games with a friend who used to drive him there, but he is emigrating so can't take him. "He's gutted at giving it up and he's also disappointed because he had a bet on them getting promotion or into the play-offs this year."

A club spokesman said their records could not confirm whether or not Jack was the longest consecutive season ticket holder. But he will be invited by Leicester City ambassador Alan Birchenall to help make the weekly club lottery draw at half-time during today's match against Ipswich in recognition of his support.

The Birch said: "Sixty-two years as a season ticket holder is an incredible level of commitment and I'd be amazed to hear of anybody who can match Jack's record. City fans are some of the best in the country because our support is made up of people like Jack, who love nothing more than coming to home games and getting behind the team through thick and thin.

"I'm looking forward to congratulating him in person.''



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503348/s/14a8ebe6/l/0L0Sthisisleicestershire0O0Cnews0CJack0Es0Eseason0Eticket0E620Eyears0Carticle0E3530A7280Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Stephen Carr France Japan Canary Islands Madagascar Allen Stanford

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento