Miyerkules, Marso 30, 2011

Adventure set to start for brave Sarah, 25

Adventurer Sarah Outen sets off on her epic round the world voyage on Friday facing an additional challenge to the two oceans and three continents she will be rowing, paddling and cycling across.

For the 25-year-old, from Rutland, is due to spend several months in Japan before rowing across the Pacific Ocean to Canada.

Sarah, of Ashwell, near Oakham, who is setting off on her London2London Via the World journey from Tower Bridge, is due to arrive in the earthquake and tsunami-hit country in October.

She said; "I was really shocked and saddened by the effects of the earthquake and tsunami and resulting nuclear scare in Japan.

"My main concern is that the people in Japan are safe and well.

"At the moment, we don't know how it will affect things.

"I'm due to arrive there in October."

She said: "That was originally to be down the east coast towards Tokyo, but that may have to switch to the west coast, but that part's a year away so we need to see how things develop. It's too early to say how things may have to alter. I have no worries and I'm looking forward to meeting the Japanese people I've been dealing with."

Two years ago, Sarah became the first and only woman to row solo across the Indian Ocean.

On her latest 20,000-mile venture, Sarah will cross the English Channel in her kayak, Nelson, before taking to her bike, Hercules, to cross France, Belgium, Germany, the Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, China and then back into Russia. Sarah will then paddle and cycle her way to Japan.

From there, she will row solo across 5,000 miles of the North Pacific in her tiny rowing boat, Gulliver, and then cycle from Vancouver to New York before rowing solo home across the North Atlantic.

It is expected to take two-and-a-half years.

Sarah said: "I'm full of all sorts of thoughts, but mainly excitement. I've just secured the titled lead sponsor which guarantees the financial security of the trip and I can now start concentrating on the four charities I'm raising money for."

She said life was "a bit of a whirlwind" at the moment with things to sort out and saying goodbye to friends and family.

"I'm really excited about how things are going and I've had great support from my team."

Mum Helen said: "I don't think it will hit me until she's gone. there will be times when I will worry, but it's something she really wants to do and I will cope with it."

She added: "There will be a few scary moments as there were with the Indian Ocean, but equally it's exciting to see her make progress.

"We will keep in contact by e-mail and satellite phone. I was hoping to link up with her in Japan, but we're not sure if plans will change."

Brothers Matt, 20 and Mike, 28, will also be in London to see her off.

There to wish her luck will be selected children from 10 Rutland schools.

Sarah is raising money for breast cancer awareness charity Coppafeel, The Jubilee Sailing Trust, the Motor Neurone Disease Association and WaterAid.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503348/s/13be2240/l/0L0Sthisisleicestershire0O0Cnews0CAdventure0Eset0Estart0Ebrave0ESarah0E250Carticle0E33867240Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Local government Gender Nuclear weapons European football Premier League Executive pay and bonuses

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento