Sabado, Pebrero 18, 2012

Said & Done: Portsmouth and Rangers; Spurs giving back; plus fan of the week

Tricking the fit and proper test; Spurs in the community; fan of the week; plus model news

Quote of the week

The Football League ? defending their fit and proper person test after Vladimir Antonov's arrest on fraud charges put Portsmouth back in administration, eight months after they cleared him. The League say Antonov tricked the test ? designed to screen out potentially dishonest or fraudulent owners ? by supplying it with "at best misleading, and possibly fraudulent" information. Antonov denies wrongdoing.

? Also passing last year: Craig Whyte ? ruled fit to buy Rangers by the Scottish FA's test, which bars previously disqualified company directors, after he "failed to share" with them that he was a previously disqualified company director. The SFA say a new inquiry "will establish the clear facts".

Football family news

New last week from the football family:

? Jack Warner: denying allegations that aid money for Haiti earthquake victims disappeared via a Trinidad FA account over which he had sole control. The FA say they will sue Warner, Warner says he'll sue "deranged and malicious persons" for spreading the lie. "I am thoroughly disgusted."

? Angel Mar�a Villar: Spain's FA head, re-elected for a seventh term after rivals failed in a legal attempt to delay the vote due to alleged irregularities in a "murky atmosphere". Villar: "This election was absolutely democratic. It's an example to the football family."

? Plus one to watch: Bahrain FA president Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa. 2011: Backs the arrest of 150 athletes who took part in pro-democracy protests. 2012: Prepares to run for the presidency of the Asian Football Confederation. "I have great support from many parties."

Deal of the week

Spurs ? given approval to drop all affordable housing from their new stadium plan. The original approved scheme included 100 affordable homes; the new scheme 285 private flats, making the project more "viable". Daniel Levy says Spurs, receiving �27m of public regeneration money, are "delighted" to be able to go ahead ? bringing "economic uplift" to "an area with such real need".

What football thinks

4: Weeks before sacking Mick McCarthy that Wolves owner Steve Morgan revealed what football thinks: "I'd like to think football thinks Wolves do things our way ? and our way is about long-term growth, stability and strength. We don't have a hire-and-fire mentality ? the message is finally dropping: this club is about stability. You don't get that by chopping and changing your manager."

Also moving

? 6 Feb, Hertha general manager Michael Preetz on calls for new coach Michael Skibbe to be sacked after three defeats in his first three games. "This is not a question. We will stand together, stay immune against outside influences, and keep calm." 12 Feb: Sacks him. "It was time to change."

? 12 Feb, Sporting Lisbon president Godinho Lopes, asked if coach Domingos Paci�ncia should be worried: "That question makes no sense. The results are not good, but do not reflect the work of the coach. I speak with Domingos every day. We are working for success." 13 Feb: Sacks him.

President of the week

Brazil: Fortaleza's Osmar Baquit ? fined 100 reals (�40) for calling match officials "crooks, thieves, a gang of tramps, a legion of thugs" while being restrained by military police. Baquit: "I know I shouldn't act like that but I'm a passionate president. Maybe I'll do it again in the next match."

Adriano latest

Brazil: Corinthians director Roberto de Andrade says press claims that Adriano "escaped" from confinement in the team's hotel and turned up in a Rio nightclub are false. Andrade said the detention of Adriano in an attempt to make him lose weight was continuing: "I'm not kidding. Adriano is committed."

Gigi news

Romania: Steaua owner Gigi Becali's new ambition: "I want to be prime minister, so I can be Christ's general on earth. This country needs 5,000 Becalis ? but even with 100 we'd be better than Germany or France. Becali is love ? love draws me to people in need. All that I do, I do for Jesus."

Fan of the week

1: Number of fans in the away end at Gr�mio supporting Santa Cruz during their 4-1 defeat (attendance 6,735). Tiago Rech: "When I got in I realised it was just me and four police. But it was worth it. When we scored I didn't care I was alone. I screamed and went for it. That's when I saw the journalists looking at me. On the radio later they talked of 'the dance of the lone fan of Santa Cruz'. It was a great day."

Coach of the week

UAE: Olaroiu coach Walter Zenga, asked in a press conference why his side play defensively. "I do not want to answer that stupid question. It's a stupid question." Journalist: "Thanks". Zenga: "With pleasure. You're finished. I enjoy myself, you're nothing, a nobody? Bye bye, bye bye. Have fun."

Apology news

Brazil: Aguia midfielder Alexandre Carioca says using a camera tripod to beat Remo defender Aldivan to the ground during a brawl was "unwise": "I felt upset, so I acted the way I did. I surely won't do it again." Aldivan, treated in hospital, says he won't press charges. "He cried and said sorry. I forgive."

Plus: model news

Brazil: Big Brother contestant Monique says her footballer-chasing media image is unfair, based on "just one serious affair" with Corinthians' Douglas. "I don't seek out footballers. It's just like I'm a magnet and they are iron filings. And it's never about their money with me: I just like thick legs." Spokesman for Douglas: "This is a lie."


guardian.co.uk © 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/18/said-and-done-quote-week

World Cup 2018 Beach holidays US healthcare Redrow Property Energy efficiency

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento