Huwebes, Pebrero 23, 2012

Pearce makes his case as Redknapp's rival for England

? Caretaker manager stresses his international experience
? Tournament knowledge crucial at Euro 2012, says Pearce

Stuart Pearce has put himself forward as a credible candidate to rival Harry Redknapp for the England job and raised the possibility that it would be a disadvantage to appoint someone without experience of major tournaments.

Pearce has told the Football Association he would relish the chance to take England to this summer's European Championship and he went public with his ambitions after naming his squad as caretaker manager for Wednesday's friendly against Holland.

"I've said to my bosses that if they need me in the summer I've got the experience to do it," he said. "I've been to two major semi-finals as a player, I've been to a final as the Under-21s' manager, I've been to semi-finals as the Under-21s' manager and I've been with Fabio [Capello] to South Africa to a World Cup.

"I've got the experience to take this tournament on without a problem. I don't think I've the experience to be the full-time England manager, so my run would end in the summer. But the one thing I have is tournament experience. That is what I offer."

Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite to take the job at the end of the season, with bookmakers suspending betting on the Spurs manager within minutes of Capello's resignation. However, Pearce pointed out that even a manager with Capello's record of success in club football had found it difficult to adjust to tournament level.

He described himself as "a candidate who has experience and won't go to a tournament having never been to a tournament at any level", adding that "tournament football stands alone in respect to club football". The clear message was that he had the edge in terms of experience, and it was said with Sir Trevor Brooking and Adrian Bevington, two of the FA executives who will appoint Capello's successor, listening intently.

"They know exactly where I am," Pearce continued. "I've not fluffed around it. I've not turned round and said: 'I'm not sure what I want to do.' They know exactly what I want to do and if they need me to take the squad in the summer, I'll do that with pleasure."

Pearce has omitted Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard and several other senior players for the Holland game so he can bring in younger players, including Tom Cleverley of Manchester United and Sunderland's Fraizer Campbell. Micah Richards is recalled and Rob Green has been brought back as Joe Hart's understudy, but there is no place for Andy Carroll and Pearce has decided Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain should stay with England's Under-21s for the time being.

"I could have brought him in, played him for 10 minutes and there would have been a scrum from the media that he shouldn't ever play for the Under-21s again," Pearce explained. "It would be better for him to play 90 minutes for the Under-21s rather than a 10-minute cameo for the seniors."

Campbell's inclusion is the most surprising, the 24-year-old having recently returned to the Sunderland team after a serious knee injury. "He is an improving striker," Pearce said. "I worked with him a few years ago and injury has held him back. But I think his form is good enough to be in the squad."

Pearce addressed the issue of his appointment coming at a time when John Terry is facing a trial ? for allegedly racially abusing Anton Ferdinand, which Terry denies ? directly leading to the Chelsea player's removal as England captain and, in turn, Capello's departure. Pearce has been reminded recently of the Nottingham Forest game in December 1994 when he was accused of using a racial insult against Paul Ince.

"It was something I apologised for at the time. Myself and Paul played together at Euro 96 and have no ill feeling towards each other but it's certainly something I regretted. What you were and what you said 17 years ago is no reflection of what you say today. It was a one-off mistake. It's very disappointing. I think it's important that I draw a line under it and we move on."


guardian.co.uk © 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/23/stuart-pearce-england

Everton Lancashire Tobin tax Alps Bradford Bulls Florida

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento